Week 9: Capstone Synthesis Practicum
Practicum Project Presentations
As agents of social change, nurse executives have a vantage point that allows them to focus both internally and externally. Internally—in that they carefully examine their own organizations and the policies, procedures, and systems that directly impact them and those within their span of control. Externally—in that they know what other organizations are doing, read the scholarly literature, and stay up to date on best practices and technological and workforce trends. Thus, nurse executives possess awareness of the wider healthcare environment along with the practical ability to apply changes within their own organizations. The Practicum Project represents how the internal and external foci come together to drive change.
1. This week, you disseminate your research on a small scale: by sharing your project results and conclusions with your colleagues in the Discussion. You answer their questions and consider any adjustments that need to be made. You then finalize your Practicum Project Presentation for submission as your Assignment.
· Analyze distinctions between in-person and online presentations
· Synthesize Practicum Project elements into graduate-level presentations
Walden University Academic Skills Center. (n.d.). Microsoft PowerPoint. https://academicguidees.waldenu.edu/academic-skill-center/skills/ms-office/powerpoint.
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.-d). Common assignments: Presentations. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/assignments/presentations.
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.-d). APA presentation template. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general#s-Ig-box-2023636.
Document: Practicum Project Presentation Overview (PDF).
NURS 6600 Practicum Project Presentation Overview
PowerPoint Presentation Notes
Your PowerPoint presentation should exhibit a professional appearance that reflects
thoughtful, thorough preparation. Consider the audience’s needs, and use your creativity
to design an engaging presentation. Your audience consists of your colleagues and
Faculty. This presentation also serves as the Portfolio Assignment for this course.
The use of PowerPoint as a presentation method allows you to create a narrative to
convey essential aspects of your Practicum Project. As you develop your presentation,
structure the information to provide a logical flow from the beginning (introduction) to the
middle to the end (conclusion).
Determine a title for each slide. As you create each slide, include the slide title at the top
to help orient the audience, and make sure the slide text is concise and easy to read.
While you may wish to include a few photos or graphics, be mindful that including too
many of these items can be distracting and may result in problems with file size and
PowerPoint Presentation Instructions
Develop a 12- to 15-slide PowerPoint presentation that includes the following:
A title slide with the following:
o Your name
o Presentation title
o Submission date
A slide showing presentation objectives
A summary of the Practicum Project topic, goal, objectives, and rationale
A summary of the Practicum Project methodology
A summary of the Practicum Project findings
Conclusions and recommendations that incorporate an evaluation of the Practicum
Project findings in terms of utility and potential for impact within the nurse
executive specialization and your practicum organization’s environment
Examples of scholarly product(s) developed for the Practicum Project, if applicable
(you may use screenshots or scans to incorporate these items into your
A summary slide that properly synthesizes and concludes the presentation
A list of references (including a minimum of five scholarly resources), properly
formatted using APA Style
In addition, you must do the following:
Design your slides appropriately. Presentation design and aesthetics should complement
the work being presented and aim to engage the audience. The evaluation of your
presentation will address not just the appropriateness and inclusion of all required content but also the extent to which the slides are neat, organized, and visually appealing.
Write detailed speaker notes for each slide (except the title and reference slides) to
complement the slide content. Speaker notes should be clear, in-depth, and function as
augmentation of the slide material.
Practicum Project Presentation Review and Feedback
The development and completion of your Practicum Project is a significant milestone in your MSN program of study. It is now time to share the results of your effort. As you know, there are many traditional formats you can use to share your results, such as presenting at a professional conference or publishing an article in a journal. As a leader with graduate-level knowledge, you may also have the opportunity to present your results virtually. Webinars and virtual workshops are additional methods professionals can use to share knowledge and evidence-based findings.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
1. As you prepare to share your presentation virtually in this Discussion, think about what you would like to convey about your project to your colleagues in this course and to your practicum Faculty Member. What should you take into account as you prepare to present your Practicum Project findings, conclusions, and recommendations online? What strategies can you use to ensure your presentation clearly articulates your results in the virtual environment? Keep these thoughts in mind as you prepare the initial draft of your Practicum Project presentation.
· Review the Practicum Project Presentation Overview document in the Learning Resources.
· Review the information in the Learning Resources on creating effective PowerPoint presentations.
· Consider the distinctions between delivering a presentation in person (e.g., at a professional conference or at your practicum site,) and presenting online. What do you need to consider as you prepare to share your presentation with your colleagues in this online forum? What steps do you need to take to ensure the information is conveyed clearly and effectively?
· Using PowerPoint, complete a draft of your Practicum Project presentation. Note that this draft of your PowerPoint presentation should be complete and polished. While you will have an opportunity to make revisions based on your colleagues’ feedback, the document you share should reflect your best effort to create a thoughtful, clear, and engaging presentation.
· The title slide should include your name, presentation title, and the submission date.
· Presentation objectives should follow the title slide.
· Slide design aesthetics should be selected to complement the presentation.
· A minimum of 12 slides and not more than 15 slides—not including the title slide, objectives slide, and references slide—should be presented.
By Day 1
Post the draft of your Practicum Project presentation (by attaching your PowerPoint to your post). Additionally, explain the distinctions that you took into account as you prepared to share your presentation online.
Review your colleagues’ presentations.
By Day 3
Post one or more questions related to the content of the presentation posted by at least one of your colleagues. Be sure to direct your inquiry to someone who has not yet received a question.
Read your colleagues’ questions about your own presentation.
By Day 6
Answer at least one of your colleague’s questions about your presentation. If no colleagues have asked you a question, please pose an additional question to peers to secure a minimum of two response posts overall.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the ““Post to Discussion Question”” link and then select ““Create Thread”” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit!
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 9 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 1 and Day 3 Respond by Day 6
To Participate in this Discussion: Week 9 Discussion
Practicum Project Presentation
Thought provoking. Precise. Engaging. Illuminating. Motivating.
What adjectives would you like those who review your Practicum Project presentation to ascribe to your work? As you finalize your PowerPoint presentation, reflect on the impact you would like to have and how you can apply what you have learned about effective communication and design.
Keep in mind that your presentation must demonstrate graduate-level writing and presentation standards. Your presentation will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Photo Credit: Getty Images
· Inclusion of all required content, (e.g., evidence of scholarly products developed for the Practicum Project)
· Effective communication and appropriate emphasis of content
· Organization and clarity
· Visual appeal
· Integrate feedback from this week’s Discussion to hone your presentation. ‘
By Day 7
Submit your final Practicum Project Presentation.
2. Your presentation also serves as the Portfolio Assignment for this course.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK9Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
Click the Week 9 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
Click the Week 9 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK9Assgn+last name first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 9 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 9 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To participate in this Assignment: Week 9 Assignment
The post As agents of social change, nurse executives have a vantage point that allows them to focus both internally and externally. Internally—in that they carefully examine their own organizations and the policies, procedures, and systems that directly impact them and those within their span of control. appeared first on Infinite Essays.