Performance Management Homework
The purpose of this assignment is to develop a performance management process for an existing job, have a manager give you feedback on the process, then use the process and evaluate its effectiveness for yourself. The assignment will involve establishing methods for planning performance, providing feedback during the execution of performance, assessing performance, reviewing performance, and renewing and recontracting performance.
Part I – Create a performance management instrument/process.
Using your job description, and any additional materials you have at hand (e.g. past performance reviews, strategic planning documents, training materials, etc.), create a performance management process. The performance management process should include the following components:
1) Identify the purpose of rating – tell me how the rating system you are proposing will be used. Ratings that are done for developmental purposes are less likely to have an overall summary “number” as a final result, and are more likely to focus on how to help the employee improve after the rating has been given (thus, they may include developmental plans, educational goals, etc.) Ratings that are done for personnel decisions vary depending on the type of personnel decision made. For example, a raise-related rating may be a single number that expresses an overall performance level, whereas a layoff rating may involve ranking employees.
2) Identify the people who have first-hand information about performance – who will participate in the performance management process. These are people you might talk with when determining performance expectations in step 3 below. Remember that you may need to consult with multiple people to get a complete picture of an employee’s overall performance.
3) Establish performance expectations.
4) Create process for collecting and giving feedback on performance information
1 = Does Not Meet Expectations
2 = Meets Expectations
3 = Exceeds Expectations
4 = Far Exceeds Expectations
5) Establish results of performance appraisal process
6) Feedback (Part II)
7) Establish an appeals process
Part II – Evaluate your performance management process
The purpose of this part of the assignment is to give you feedback on your work – in particular to find out how well your “theoretical” process might work in the “real world.” There are two ways of doing this, do both.
First, use the process you have developed to evaluate someone’s performance. Using the forms and communication processes you have developed, either get feedback on your own work, or give someone else feedback on their work. It is likely that you will have to involve a supervisor (either your own or someone else’s) in this process. To do that, explain clearly that you have created a new process for a class, and that your professor has asked you to get feedback on how well it works. Be sure that everyone concerned knows that any information given will be for the class project only, and offer to sign a statement to that effect if necessary.
The second part of the evaluation process will be to get comments from the people who might use your process – both reviewers (managers) and reviewees (employees.) Talk to at least two people who might use the performance management form, and two people who might be reviewed using that form. Find out from them what they think of the process in terms of:
Using the information above, assess the effectiveness of your proposed performance management process, and recommend any changes you would like to make to the process to make it more effective in the future. I will provide more instructions.
Performance Management Homework