This assignment is to write a rhetorical analysis of an article you have read on a topic of your choice..
- Locate several choices of news and feature articles on the Internet. Pick topics that may be something you want to learn more about for your own knowledge as well as something that has potential to be a research topic for later in the semester. Be sure to accurately cite the information for the article so that you may use it later.
- Write a summary of the rhetorical elements you find in an article and add your own critical analysis of the arguments by the author.
- Using the strategies for note-taking in your text (see the reading list below), compile relevant notes, paraphrases, and quotations to use for your critical summary.
- Organize your notes into supporting details for your description of the rhetorical elements in the article.
- Write a summary of critical features of the article and conclude with your own response to the conclusions drawn by the author.
- Submit this writing as your first draft of Essay 1.
- Lunsford: pp. 52-59, Section 8 — Making arguments using ethical, emotional, logical appeals.
- Lunsford, pp. 84-96, Section 14 — Taking notes from your reading.
Writing: Turn in the first draft of this essay before class on Friday, January 26.
- Your essay must have a header with your name, my name, the course number, and date.
- The essay must have a title.
- Paragraphs should be indented. Text should be double-spaced.
- Pagination should appear according to MLA style (your name and page number at top right margin).
- Illustrations, charts, and tables are permitted, but not required (but with attribution for each element provided).
- Citations should be inserted in the text, per MLA Style guidelines (See Lunsford: pp. 262-268).
- Bibliographic citation (see sample on Lunsford: p. 310).
The first draft for this assignment is worth 50 points. The final essay will be worth an additional 100 points–making the total point value of this essay 100 points, or 10% of the semester grade.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Code "Newclient"