Critical Issues in Criminal Justice System
As you complete this course and the program, it is time to look ahead at the critical issues facing the criminal justice system. Many of today’s critical issues have either arisen or worsened as a result of the 9/11 attacks. This assignment will require you to build on your assignment by applying the concepts of the course to the following four areas:
- Using the Internet, research and analyze a major national-level street gang, such as MS-13 or the Bloods. Describe the challenges such gangs present to law enforcement. Also, analyze how theories such as social disorganization and strain theory describe factors that lead juveniles to join such gangs.
- Another key issue is the use of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) evidence to exonerate wrongfully-convicted offenders. Advances in technology in recent years have allowed investigators to use old crime scene evidence to prove the innocence of some death-row inmates. For this portion of the assignment, describe the efforts being made by citizens outside the criminal justice system to ensure that innocent people are not wrongfully executed. Be sure to include the “Innocence Project.”
- The above issue raises the question of how innocent men and women might have been convicted in the first place. For the third portion of this assignment, analyze and discuss the most common causes of wrongful convictions.
- For the final part of this paper, examine a post-9/11
critical issue that corresponds to your area of interest. Once you have selected
- How the community influences this issue?
- Are the lawmakers and politicians addressing the issue appropriately?
- Have any improvements been made in recent years?
- Given what you have learned throughout his program, what are your thoughts on the issue?
- Some issues you might wish to choose may include the President’s use of drones to kill the US citizens suspected of terrorism without due process; the use of GPS devices and “sneak-and-peek” searches to investigate suspects; cyber-attacks from foreign countries; the use of Supermax prisons to house convicted terrorists; legislation to restrict private ownership of certain types of guns.
Provide the answers in 5–6 pages Microsoft Word document.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
Described the unique challenges presented by a well-organized street gang and
applied criminological theories to explain how juveniles are drawn to such gangs.
Described the efforts made by citizens outside the criminal justice system to ensure that innocent people are not wrongfully executed.
Discussed the most common causes of wrongful convictions.
Analyzed and discussed a post-9/11 critical issue in the Criminal Justice System.